A few days ago I installed the Windows 8 Developer Preview on my netbook which has a 10.1″ screen. The problem was that none of the metro apps would launch. Apparently metro apps do not run on screen resolutions below 1024×768 and my netbook has 1024×600. But luckily there is a work around. You have to enable downscaling and increase the resolution. Here is how you do it:
1. Press “Win”+R on the keyboard to open “Run”
2. Write “regedit” and press “ok”.
3. In the registry editor navigate to:
4. In here you will find several keys that look like this:
Inside SOME of those keys you will find keys named 0000 and 0001
5. Inside each key called 0000 and 0001, find the entry called “Display1_DownScalingSupported”, change that value from 0 to 1.
6. Restart your computer
7. Now you can change your resolution to 1024×768, and the metro apps should now work!
Notice: Change in the registry at your own risk!